Sources familiar with Apple’s plans tell BuzzFeed News that the company intends to announce its next-generation Apple TV in September, at the same event at which it typically unveils its new iPhones.
Apple TV 4 is expected to be slimmer than the current-generation model and feature Apple’s A8 chip, a new, “drastically improved” remote with touchpad, more on-board storage, an improved operating system with support for Siri voice control and a long-awaited App Store.
At the September event, Apple is expected to release an Apple TV SDK.
Back in March, we learned that Apple’s HDTV project had been dropped in early 2014 in favour of Apple TV 4.
Read more about Apple TV 4:
- Apple TV 4 hardware, software, release date detailed by Mark Gurman
- Multi-touch Bluetooth remote for Apple TV referenced in El Capitan beta 2
- Apple working on its own web TV service
- WSJ: Apple to launch $30-$40/month online TV service in September
- Reading between the lines of WWDC 2015 keynote