Apple has just updated the second and third-generation Apple TV software to version 5.1 (build 10A406e). The biggest changes include support for Shared Photo Streams, the ability to switch between iTunes accounts and to send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices. Apple TV 2 jailbreakers: as always – stay away from this update for now if you don’t want to lose your jailbreak.
Apple TV hacker and developer nitoTV tweeted that he doesn’t recommend updating to 5.1:
And here is the full list of new features in Apple TV 5.1:
- Shared Photo Streams — Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.
- AirPlay — Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.
- iTunes account switching — Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.
- Trailers — Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.
- Screen savers — New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.
- Main menu— Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.
- Subtitles — SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.
- Network configuration — Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles.
- Stability and performance — Includes general performance and stability improvements.