Seas0nPass jailbreaking tool has been updated today to provide an untethered jailbreak for Apple TV 2 running the latest 5.0.1 (iOS 5.1.1) firmware. All of the most popular Apple TV plugins, like XBMC, Plex, Media Player, nitoTV, Rowmote, Last.fm, Couch Surfer and Weather are currently supported on 5.0.1 (Remote HD and Overflow are not yet working and require an author update for 5.0.1 compatibility). The new Apple TV 2 untethered jailbreak has been successfully tested by nitoTV.
The current version of Seas0nPass doesn’t provide a jailbreak for the Apple TV 3.
Here is a step by step tutorial on how to untether jailbreak Apple TV 2 5.0.1 using Seas0nPass:
Note: If you’re already running a tethered version of 5.0.1 you will need to re-jailbreak using Seas0nPass to take advantage of the new untethered version.
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes (check for updates through Software Update located in Apple menu).
- Download Seas0nPass for Mac [10.6 or later] or Windows [XP or later].
- A micro USB cable will be required to complete the jailbreak.
- Disconnect any iPods, iPhones, and iPads from your computer.
Step 1: Unzip the ‘Seas0nPass.zip’ file and launch Seas0nPass.
Step 4:When prompted, connect your Apple TV using a micro-USB cable (leave power disconnected).
Once the light on the front of the Apple TV begins to flash rapidly, point the remote at the AppleTV and hold both the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons for 7 seven seconds.
Step 6: iTunes will confirm the restore when complete – your Apple TV is now jailbroken.
Note: To confirm the jailbreak was successful a (temporary) red FC logo will appear in the lower right corner of the screen – as shown below.
Now you can:
- install XBMC 11.0 Eden and all the great XBMC addons
- watch Hulu
- install IceFilms
- install aTV Flash (black) and Media Player
- and much, much more!