So you didn’t update your Apple TV 2 firmware to version 6.0 (iOS 7) when it came in September, hoping for a jailbreak for 5.3 software (iOS 6.1.4 – 10B809) to come sooner or later? The wait is finally over as an updated version of FireCore‘s Seas0nPass now allows for an untethered jailbreak of Apple TV 5.3 (Apple TV 2 only).
The update was possible thanks to the help from @iH8sn0w, @winocm, and @SquiffyPwn.
FireCore also revealed that “there has been some encouraging progress made on Apple TV 6.0+” (thanks to the work of @evad3rs and @nitoTV) and they hope to have more news available “soon”.
If you’re on 6.0.x but have the SHSH blobs saved for 5.3, you can use Seas0nPass to first downgrade and then jailbreak your atv2.
Here is how to jailbreak (instructions provided by FireCore):
Option 1 – if you’re already running 5.3
- On the ATV2, navigate to Maintenance > Manage Extras
- Install the Maintenance (2.4) update and the Click to Untether (1.2) items – restart the Apple TV when prompted.
Option 2 – to update or reinstall 5.3
- (Optional) Navigate to Maintenance > Settings > Manage Backups and create a new backup. Double-check to ensure the backup is listed in the Restore From Backups menu.
- Download the latest version of Seas0nPass.
- Open and run Seas0nPass normally, to update the Apple TV to 5.3 untethered.
- Download and run the new 2.4 version of aTV Flash (black) to reinstall.
If you’re new to aTV Flash (black) you can read our full review here.
Note: The current version of Seas0nPass doesn’t provide a jailbreak for the Apple TV 3.
Be sure to follow Apple TV Hacks on Twitter, Facebook or Google+ for all the latest Apple TV-related news.
CommentsBe The First to Comment