So you didn’t update your Apple TV 2 firmware to version 6.0 (iOS 7) when it came in September, hoping for a jailbreak for 5.3 software (iOS 6.1.4 – 10B809) to come sooner or later? The wait is finally over as an updated version of FireCore‘s Seas0nPass now allows for an untethered jailbreak of Apple TV 5.3 (Apple TV 2 only).
Here is how to jailbreak (instructions provided by FireCore):
Option 1 – if you’re already running 5.3
- On the ATV2, navigate to Maintenance > Manage Extras
- Install the Maintenance (2.4) update and the Click to Untether (1.2) items – restart the Apple TV when prompted.
Option 2 – to update or reinstall 5.3
- (Optional) Navigate to Maintenance > Settings > Manage Backups and create a new backup. Double-check to ensure the backup is listed in the Restore From Backups menu.
- Download the latest version of Seas0nPass.
- Open and run Seas0nPass normally, to update the Apple TV to 5.3 untethered.
- Download and run the new 2.4 version of aTV Flash (black) to reinstall.
Note: The current version of Seas0nPass doesn’t provide a jailbreak for the Apple TV 3.