Seas0nPass, the popular Apple TV jailbreak tool, has been recently updated by FireCore and now allows for an untethered jailbreak of Apple TV 5.3 (Apple TV 2 only). Released in June last year, Apple TV software version 5.3 added HBO GO, WatchESPN, Sky News, Crunchyroll and Qello to our little black boxes.
Here is a step by step tutorial on how to untether jailbreak Apple TV 2 5.3 using Seas0nPass:
- Download and install the latest version of iTunes (check for updates through Software Update located in Apple menu).
- Download Seas0nPass for Mac [10.6 or later] or Windows [XP or later].
- A micro USB cable will be required to complete the jailbreak.
- Disconnect any iPods, iPhones, and iPads from your computer.
Step 1: Unzip the ‘Seas0nPass.zip’ file and launch Seas0nPass.
Step 4:When prompted, connect your Apple TV using a micro-USB cable (leave power disconnected).
Once the light on the front of the Apple TV begins to flash rapidly, point the remote at the AppleTV and hold both the MENU and PLAY/PAUSE buttons for 7 seven seconds.
Step 6: iTunes will confirm the restore when complete – your Apple TV is now jailbroken.
Note: To confirm the jailbreak was successful a (temporary) red FC logo will appear in the lower right corner of the screen – as shown below.
aTV Flash (black) users that are already running 5.3 can jailbreak by following these two easy steps:
- Navigate to Maintenance > Manage Extras
- Install the Maintenance (2.4) update and the Click to Untether (1.2) items – restart the Apple TV when prompted.
Note: The current version of Seas0nPass doesn’t provide a jailbreak for the Apple TV 3.