FireCore has just updated its aTV Flash (black) for Apple TV to version 1.7, which, among other things, features seamless access to trakt.tv – a TV show and movie recommendation service that helps keep a record of what TV shows and movies you are watching. Trakt is different than other sites since it automatically keeps a record of what you are watching and don’t rely on manual check ins.
After login to trakt.tv on the Apple TV, your plays will be silently scrobbled back to trakt.tv where your watched history is stored. You’ll also have the option to rate movies and TV shows after you’ve watched them. FireCore is also working to bring support for 2 way sync and trakt.tv recommendations.
How to setup trakt.tv in aTV Flash (black):
- Through the Maintenance » Manage Extras menu, ensure the Media Player item is installed
- Navigate to the Media » Settings » General » trakt.tv menu
- Click login and enter your trakt.tv username and password when prompted
- That’s it! You’re all setup to use trakt.tv on your Apple TV.
Here is a full changelog for aTV Flash (Black) 1.7
- Added trakt.tv integration (scrobbling and ratings)
- Added localized movie poster art
- Added localized movie ratings
- Added AirControl (beta) – an open control API for Apple TV
- Added support for embedded DVB subtitles
- Added advanced read-ahead buffering for SMB and NFS shares
- Added Simplified Chinese translation
- Added ‘Update All’ option
- Added support for secure web logins
- Improved metadata fetching speed
- Improved video rotation detection for MOV files
- Improved support for YUVJ420 & YUVJ422 formats (used by digital cameras)
- Improved top-level menu layouts
- Resolved crash when accessing ISO files on certain shares
- Resolved potential streaming issues when using an unstable network
- Resolved AFP related memory management issues
- Other minor improvements & fixes
If you’re already running a version of aTV Flash (black), the new 1.7 version can be installed through the Maintenance –> Manage Extras menu. Links for the new version can also be found in your FireCore account under the Downloads tab.
If you’re not yet using aTV Flash (black) you can get started here.
IMPORTANT: Once the Apple TV 3 jailbreak is available your aTV Flash (black) license will cover both Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3.
Update: there seem to be some problems with Plex plugin:
A few users are reporting issues with Plex running on the 5.0+ software. The Plex plugin for Apple TV is quite outdated, and we recommend removing it before installing any updates. If you’re using Plex and are experiencing trouble a workaround can be found here please re-run the aTV Flash (black) installer.