Apple released minor software update for Apple TV 2 – labeled 4.2.2 – which generally fixes some audio and video playback issues (see the full list of changes below). The IPSW name is still 4.3, but the build version changed from 8F202 to 8F305. @i0n1c has already updated Apple TV 2 kernel for his original 4.3.1 untether. NitoTV confirmed that the new untether works “beautifully” and he said there should be a new Seas0nPass out very soon.
If you do feel like updating to 4.2.2, you can then use the latest version of PwnageTool and the freshly released bundle for atv2 8F305 biuld to jailbreak your device. Remember to place the bundle in FirmwareBundles directory before you start.
For Windows users, sn0wbreeze has also been updated to version 2.7.2 which supports untether jailbreak on the latest firmware version 4.2.2. To jailbreak your Apple TV 2 with sn0wbreeze, use the instructions from this tutorial, just make sure you are using the latest version of sn0wbreeze.
Apple TV Software Update 4.2.2 features:
- Audio: addresses an issue in which audio is not output when playing some video content.
- Video playback: addresses an issue in which video is not displayed when playing some content.
- Audio output setting: adds an audio output setting for switching to 16-bit audio for compatibility with some TVs and AV receivers.
- Live FF/RW improvements: improves the performance of fast-forwarding and rewinding live events.
- Movie description: addresses an issue in which the description information is not displayed for some movies.
- YouTube video order: addresses an issue in which YouTube subscription videos were not ordered by date.
You may also want to read:
How to Jailbreak Apple TV 2 on iOS 4.3 with sn0wbreeze (untethered)
SHOUTcast Radio App Updated to Support AirPlay
AirPlay-Enabled Apps: Air Video (review)
Remote HD now supports Apple TV 2 (updated)